Friday, January 6, 2012

So, we flew to Hawaii....

Back in March the Army decided that Chris needed to go to Hawaii. That meant that we all would be moving to Hawaii. Sounds pretty great, huh? Yeah, until you remember that you have 3 kids and you are flying for a long time. Not just 3 kids, 3 young kids (6, 3, and 19 months). And you remember that the 19 month old is kinda crazy! Our journey began the morning of January 5th at 4 AM central time. You see we had the drive from Arkadelphia, AR to the Dallas/Fort Worth airport. The drive was uneventful and the traffic was never bad. We got the and everything was going super smooth. Besides from being tired we weren't having any problems. That should have been mine first clue that something was about to go wrong.

Back up a few months and my friend, Kathryn who lived in Hawaii, told me about the planes. She said they were big. She said her kids playing in the bathroom. She lied (I still love you!)!! Our plane was tiny! There were 3 seats in the middle and 2 on each side. AND it was an 8 hour flight!!! Right before we were to board J started to get a little fussy. No big deal it was nap time. I thought he would go to sleep soon after I got him buckled into his car seat. NO HE DID NOT!!! Do you know what he did? He cried/screamed for about 5 hours. Yup, 5 HOURS. He slept for 3 hours. Those 3 hours he was sleeping there was another toddler on the plane who screamed instead. Can I tell you I don't plan on flying with this kid for a very long time!

We arrive in Hawaii around 5 pm and go to the baggage claim. Just remember that we are moving so we have A LOT of bags! We look like hillbillys. Also our car is getting shipped and it's not here yet so we had to rent a car. Well when we made the reservations we accidently made two. That mistake got corrected prettly quickly but when we got ready to go to the rental car place we (of course) picked the wrong agency. Oh, did I tell you that the rental car agencies are not at the airport. You have to take a shuttle with all of our bags. We get there and realize we are at the wrong one!!! Those people very kindly took us to the right place and we got our 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan (my husband is turning into a minivan fan!). And we have to go back to the airport because Chris still has to sign in. Here it's done at the airport when you get here. Well he went in to do that and I got to drive around the airport. In the dark. In a vehicle I had never driven. And a town I had never been to. Thankfully it was basically just a big circle. By now it's after 7. And we still hadn't gotten to our hotel. Which that took another hour to find and almost another hour to figure out where to park!!! Our first few hours in Hawaii weren't great i'm sure the next 3 years have got to get better. Right? ;)

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry! 5 hours?? You deserve to be put in the mommy hall of fame! Now everyone will have to come visit you so you will not have to make that flight again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this and yes you need to come visit because Jackson is not getting his rear end on a plane with me anytime soon!!!

      Delete