Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Surviving Deployments.

So right now i'm in the midst of deployment #2 and I thought i'd share a few coping tricks. Really folks I am no expert on this nor am I a perfect soldier's wife. FAR FROM IT!! But I like lists (if you've ever read my blog this is obvious) and I like to think that for the most part i'm doing a pretty decent job of coping. So how to survive a deployment in 10 easy steps.
1. GOD, enough said.
2. Your life must go on. It can not stand still for however long your spouse is gone. Especially if you have children!
3. Get a life, with friends!!!
4. Learn to stand on your OWN feet. There are certain things I hate to do but I have no choice. The garbage still has to be set out and the yard has to be mowed, unless i'm going for a jungle look.
5. Lean on your friends/family. But look at #4 at the end of the day it's just you.
6. Don't become a hermit! I will say when things get to stressful then I hole up in my house for a few days and don't talk to anyone but not all the time! On the flip side you don't have to do something everyday!
7. Shopping is not therapy!!
8.But girl's nights can be!!! Babysitters are worth the money!
9. You have to learn what stresses you out and how to deal. I sit on my balcony at night when everything is quiet and just sit. Sometimes I wallow, sometimes I cry and sometimes I just enjoy my quietness.
10. While your spouse is gone you have to live! It has to be more than surviving especially if you have kids. They need to see you enjoy life and laugh and have fun. Side note: be honest with your children. They are smarter than you think and they know what is going on. Don't hide it from them.
So like I said I don't have this down to a science but it's what I do and as Lori would say "it's how I roll".

1 comment:

  1. I think those are great tips! And I just happened to see your blog the other day...it's so good to read and see how people from school are doing these days. I sometimes wonder if there is a similar set of tips for children dealing with deployed parents. All of the students I teach at FLW every day are children of soldiers, and many have deployed parents. I know it must be a daily challenge to the spouses and the children. I'll be praying for you guys...keep focusing on #1! :)

    ReplyDelete